Τετάρτη 10 Απριλίου 2013

programs in folklore and creative writing

From:"Schmidt, Claire Margaret" <SchmidtCla@missouri.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 21:06:06 +0000

I responded off-list to the student's particular questions, but 
thought I'd throw in with general suggestions.

The English department at the University of Missouri has strong 
programs in folklore and creative writing. Within our English 
department, the Folklore, Oral Tradition and Culture Studies Program 
has a strong relationship with the Creative Writing Program, and many 
university-based resources for PhD work that draws on creative writing 
and folklore. Our PhD students (I am one, defended and about to 
deposit, and lucky to have landed a good academic job) are funded with 
a decent living stipend and health care, we get to teach a wide 
variety of exciting classes, there are a number of writing fellowships 
available, and we have a very good job placement history. There are MA 
and PhD students in fiction writing, poetry, and creative nonfiction 
who specialize in folklore, and vice versa; some of these students are 
international and some are domestic.

The website for the folklore program is here:
http://folklore.missouri.edu/

The Center for Studies in Oral Tradition and the journal Oral 
Tradition is also at the University of Missouri:
http://oraltradition.org/

The University of Missouri's Creative Writing Program is ranked quite 
highly:
http://english.missouri.edu/creative-writing.html

Best,
Claire Schmidt
President, English Graduate Student Association
Folklore, Oral Tradition and Culture Studies Program
Department of English
University of Missouri

__________________________________________________________________________________

From: M?nire Bozdemir [munirebozdemir@googlemail.com<mailto:munirebozdemir@googlemail.com
 >]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 9:05 PM
To: Mills, Margaret
Subject: folk tales from Turkey & fiction writing

Dear Professor Mills,

I am a second year MFA student in fiction writing at Columbia 
University, School of the Arts. For my thesis I am working on writing/ 
re-writing folk tales that I collected and video-recorded traveling 
through villages in Aegean Turkey. In my collection, I also have 
legends, love stories that turned into legends and some other tales 
that I find a little difficult to categorize.

I am looking for writing and/or teaching fellowships or PhD programs 
that will allow me continue working on folk/fairy tales. As I am an 
international student I am not eligible to apply for many writing 
fellowships in the USA and I don`t have enough information about the 
programs that welcomes both research and creative writing in folklore 
studies. I would appreciate it a lot if you could offer me suggestions 
and advise on this issue. Thank you very much. Please send any ideas 
to me off the list.

Thank you,

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου